[Pharo-project] About HTTP proxies, settings and MacOS

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Tue Jun 28 06:13:56 EDT 2011

On 28 Jun 2011, at 11:12, Marcus Denker wrote:

> InternetConfiguration>>startUp
> 	OSPlatform isMacOS ifTrue: [
> 		self useHTTPProxy ifTrue: [
> 			 (self getHTTPProxyHost findTokens: ':') ifNotEmpty: [:p |
> 			 	HTTPSocket useProxyServerNamed: p first port: p second asInteger]]]

After browsing the code a bit, adding

	NetworkSystemSettings useHTTPProxy: true

inside the ifNotEmpty: as last statement might already help.

It would be cleaner to no longer reference HTTPSocket here and add use NetworkSystemSettings. The silly thing is that currently, NetworkSystemSettings itself falls back to HTTPSocket for the proxy host and port, for backwards compatibility reasons no doubt. Still, the abstraction/indirection would be good. So then it the code would be

	NetworkSystemSettings
		httpProxyServer: p first;
		httpProxyPort: p second asInteger;
		useHTTPProxy: true

As sole contents of the ifNotEmpty:

But since I am not behind a proxy, this must still be tested by someone who is.

Regards,

Sven