[Pharo-project] Proposal to refactor MethodFinder with pragmas

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 12:47:42 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Gary Chambers
<gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Seems to me, unless individual methods are annotated (or assumed safe/unsafe
> if not) that we would still be having to maintain a list that probably
> wouldn't be maintained...

I agree with all of you. To sum up:

- we could add a pragma per method to indicate that the method can be
called by the finder or better, that it is side-effect=free (not sure
though that side-effect-free = usable-by-methodfinder)

other solutions require maintenance, but simpler ones because if you
remove the class you also remove the list of methods. These solutions
are:

- one method per class containing a list of pragmas. Pragmas should be
found easily by using a PragmaCollector (I believe that the use of
PragmaCollector should make lookup very fast)

- one method per class returning a list of selectors. I guess we could
use the Announcer to be notified when this particular method is loaded
or updated.

What do you think?

--
Damien Cassou