[Pharo-project] Gofer dependent on Zinc

Pavel Krivanek pavel.krivanek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 06:09:37 EDT 2011

Hi Sven

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at beta9.be> wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>
> On 21 Jun 2011, at 09:56, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to point out to one new Pharo feature that is a potential
>> issue. The package Zinc-Patch-HTTPSocket stole the ownership of
>> several methods from the class HTTPSocket.
>
> That is correct. It is a consequence of including Zinc as standard component in Pharo Core.
>
> Note that many people think that most of HTTPSocket is of low quality and in need of being replaced.
>
>> That means that now this package doesn't act as an overlay patch.
>
> I don't understand the exact meaning of 'overlay patch'.

On the first sight this package is created as set of methods that only
override a few methods in the HTTPSocket class. When now the original
Network-Protocols package was published without this methods, there is
no need to have it in the standalone package and it can be merged with
Zinc-HTTP package.

>> The consequences are not fatal. It only means that now the Gofer
>> package that uses this methods is dependent on Zinc and it makes a
>> headless Gofer image a little bit larger and less clean.
>
> Yes, currently the dependencies are Gofer -> HTTPSocket -> Zinc, but is could just as well (and better) be Gofer -> Zinc.
>
> Zinc is definitively headless ready and I would hope clean enough.
>
> I know that you want to reduce the code base as much as possible, but networking, http access and code loading can never really be removed I guess.

of course can and are :-) The PharoKernel image has no network support
but full Pharo is able to fileout latest versions of this basic
packages to local files and the kernel image can then load it from the
local filesystem and continue with the next packages with help of
Gofer.

> If you have remarks regarding Zinc itself, I would love to help making it as modular and kernel ready as possible.

Ok, I will let you know

-- Pavel