[Pharo-project] About not using full Pharo

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 04:47:45 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 6:20 AM, Yanni Chiu <yanni at rogers.com> wrote:
> My image was always built from PharoCore. It was done this way before
> PharoDev existed, and I saw no reason to change.
>
> I thought people were supposed to build their own image (tailored to their
> needs). IIRC, PharoDev was initially provided as a convenience for those
> that wanted such an artifact.
>
> The concept of PharoDev evolved - I recall discussion about the "branding"
> of PharoDev as Pharo, and relegating PharoCore to the role of build process
> artifact. The discussion did not raise any flags for me, until now, when the
> discussion has turned to "eliminating" PharoCore.
>
> I've never mentioned this before because I never thought I was doing
> anything wrong by building my own image from PharoCore.

You didn't do anything wrong :-). As Mariano pointed out, the process
became so simple that everyone can now build his own images. I was
asking because if a lot of you don't like one package or always add
the same packages, we should know it to improve Pharo so that it suits
most people.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st