[Pharo-project] roadmap for 1.4

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Sun Jun 19 06:02:12 EDT 2011

On Jun 19, 2011, at 7:27 AM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think that the best idea is to have one   image for the system developers and end-users (for example, I almost never used full Pharo so it lost one tester). On the other hand we should continue with the modularization to allow to generate headless kernel image, gopher image, basic morphic image etc. on the request with bootstrapping. To have smallest possible image is not the main goal of the effort around PharoKernel. The main goal is to have beauty modular system where all dependencies all described well and packages can be  easily loaded and unloaded. The buildserver can generate all the set of images for special purposes so it will be more natural then now when we have two main images.

Yes yes yes but :) we should have a set of tools that are working together and we should not be responsible of making sure that all the possible combination work.
I would like to get a process (as I mentioned in the other mail)
	seed + MetacelloSpec + modification => seed' + MetacelloSpec'

	and that we are able to build hudson that takes
		aSeed + a spec
			=> run all the tests + run all the quality check

Right now we have
	seed + list of package + modification => seed' + list of package'

	and we get in trouble when we modify seed parts that influence external package

so what we want is to have
	seed + metacello = the minimal tools that we need to be efficient modifying seed
		for me
			OB Engine
			Shout
			O/Ecompletion