[Pharo-project] roadmap for 1.4

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Sun Jun 19 02:10:51 EDT 2011

On 19/06/11 1:27 AM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think that the best idea is to have one image for the system
> developers and end-users (for example, I almost never used full Pharo so
> it lost one tester). On the other hand we should continue with the
> modularization to allow to generate headless kernel image, gopher image,
> basic morphic image etc. on the request with bootstrapping. To have
> smallest possible image is not the main goal of the effort around
> PharoKernel. The main goal is to have beauty modular system where all
> dependencies all described well and packages can be easily loaded and
> unloaded. The buildserver can generate all the set of images for special
> purposes so it will be more natural then now when we have two main images.

+1

Me too - I never use full Pharo. I build the image I want from Core. If
there were a suitable special purpose image built as outlined above,
then that image would be my new starting point. If not, then I guess I
would have to start from whatever Core+Dev image results from the
process, and then unload stuff (or, if it isn't too big, use it as is).