[Pharo-project] Anyone using ImageSegment aut-save on snapshot?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 08:01:34 EDT 2011

I don't think so:

1) If I remember correctly, that part was broken and I fixed it some time
ago. But nobody ever reported that, I found it.
2) Few people is using ImageSegment in general. In fact, I don't know anyone
apart from Netstyle.net and Squeak Projects (which are not anymore in
Pharo).
3) Not every users of ImageSegment use the default location of the files. I
am almost sure Netstyle.net don't do that.

So, if we join 1), 2) and 3), the conclusion is that I don't know anyone who
is using this feature. But maybe there are....

I would remove them and, in the future, if needed, do a kind of notification
for image renaming where listeners can be registered.

Cheers

Mariano

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Marcus Denker <marcus.denker at inria.fr>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is code in the image that does check on startup for old image
> segments:
>
> saveImageSegments: previousFullImageName
>        "This method is used for example when you save an image with another
> name. In this case, if there are segments written to files and there are
> ImageSegment instances, then it copies the file from the previous image
> location, to the new one. It is like a backup of the segment files when
> renaming an image. "
>

> And there is code to clean up these files:
>

> reclaimObsoleteSegmentFiles  "ImageSegment reclaimObsoleteSegmentFiles"
>        "Delete segment files that can't be used after this image is saved.
>        Note that this is never necessary -- it just saves file space.
>        This is usually used when we save and quit an image. It has no sense
> to keep ImageSegment files, if we don't have the ImageSegment object in the
> new image to recover that file. Thus, those objects that are not reclaimed,
> will be removed."
>

> Is anyone using this?
>

>        Marcus

Mariano