[Pharo-project] support for flattening-out traits for export?

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 16:11:48 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Torsten Bergmann <astares at gmx.de> wrote:
>>"he last time something serious was new in Smalltalk it was back in 1984"
>>"got killed by Java"
>>"Pharo is not about maintaining the past."
>
> Sorry Stef, but to me these are phrases and not releated to
> the question about the usefullness of Traits.

These phrases are related to innovation in our language.

> Adding more language features to be comparable to other languages?

It's not about making Smalltalk to be comparable to other languages,
it's about trying new ideas. I think Smalltalk is a good platform for
that and traits are such an idea. Now, maybe traits implementation is
not perfect. Maybe developer support is not good. I think developer
support will follow the arrival of Nautilus and Glamour which makes it
much simpler to try new ideas.

Do we want to keep traits in the system? Maybe not. Do we want to
delete them and forget them forever? I certainly don't want that
because I see real potential in traits. So, either we keep them in the
system or we make it possible to load them. I'm not sure solution #2
is doable and nobody showed interest yet.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry