[Pharo-project] Toward MVP: SimpleGridExample vs. ClassListExample, etc.

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sun Jun 5 19:11:37 EDT 2011

Alain,

Stef might be correct about it being better in 1.3.  In fairness, the Hudson 1.3 image is not as big as my 1.1.1 working image, so the comparison might have some flaws.

The class examples are paginated, deferring some work.  There is a separate LazyClassListExample; it seems to work properly, and the only change that I see relative to ClassListExample is its use of LazyMorphTreeMorph.  Making that same substitution for SimpleGridMorph produces weird side effects ("extra morphs" created on some rows) in 1.3.  In 1.1.1, the window opens quickly, but is ultimately sluggish until all morphs are created.  The latter is not terribly surprising, but one could hope for 1.3's speed with 1.1.1's stability :)

Getting back to my MVP focus, I note that MorphTreeMorph is both slower than Dolphin's enhanced (multi-column) lists, and also more powerful.  It has a lot in common with the lists in the PaneHolders package that I created for Dolphin (with some additions and omissions).  As non-oo as it might be, there is arguably room for a text-only grid that is very fast.  Whether Object Arts put it in Dolphin "because it was there" in Windows, because they knew it would a good compromise, or somewhere in between is open for discussion.  Regardless, it is a useful widget.

Maybe PluggableMultiColumnListMorph is where I should start for the short term??

Bill