[Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Re: usability of Pharo and Squeak

Germán Arduino garduino at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 10:00:07 EDT 2011

Hi Dale and folks:

First of all let me say Dale, your capacity to deliver new projects is awesome!

2011/6/3 Dale Henrichs <dhenrich at vmware.com>:

> [...]

This is a great explanation. Lot of times I must explain myself (as a
freelancer working for customers around the world) why I select web
interfaces, this is the reason. Working with different datacenters,
mix of networks and servers need to have a fast way to interact with
them, and is the reason because the web is here.

> I do agree that I seem to be working with an unholy mixture of HTML, Javascript, and CSS, but Seaside does help hide the ugliness of HTML and Javascript...

I'm not a javascript guy neither, but like or not, javascript is the
engine that energize the web in our days, this was the main reason
becuase Diego GD developed the ST2JS [1] some years ago, to program
Javscript using Smalltalk. Unfortunately I had not more time, nor a
way to insert in a payed project to continue this development, but I'm
convinced that is a very very goof helper tool for Smalltalkers doing
web development.

Germán.

[1] ST2JS stand for "Smalltalk to Javascript", is part of SWT
(Smalltalk Web Toolkint), a tiny reference here:
http://www.slideshare.net/garduino1/swt-2009