[Pharo-project] I am serializing correctly with SIXX?

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 09:00:55 EDT 2011

Btw, what deserializer does, if it discovers that instance of some
class, which you want to bring to life from storage
now has its format changed?
suppose that when saving graph, some class has inst vars 'a b c'
but then you changed the class definition and its inst vars now 'a d e'
?

I think it is not a responsibility of serializer to deal with that
(there should be a higher level layer which can handle instance
migration),
while serializer just reports an error that it can't reify an object
because its original class are either gone or changed format.

On 2 June 2011 14:51, Norbert Hartl <norbert at hartl.name> wrote:

> Am 02.06.2011 um 14:31 schrieb Mariano Martinez Peck:
>
> Thanks Norbert. Now I could successfully run benchmarks for SIXX and compare
> with Fuel. But that's not really fare because we are comparing a text based
> serializer against a binary one.
>
> It is interesting anyway. I like to know if it is 20 times faster or even
> more. On the other hand it is not fair either. I don't know fuel but I think
> it platform dependent, right? So it is not fair the other way round because
> you compare a cross-platform serializer with a platform-dependent one ;) I
> think these are the categories that people think about when the are about to
> choose what util to use.
> Norbert
>
> Mariano

>>     | sws |
>>     sws := SixxWriteStream on: aStream.
>>     sws nextPut: anObject.
>>     sws close.
>>
>> serialize: anObject on: aStream
>>    anObject sixxOn: aStream

>>     | srs objects |
>>     srs := SixxReadStream on: aStream.
>>     objects := srs contents.
>>     srs close.
>>     ^ objects
>>
>> materializeFrom: aStream
>> ^ Object readSixxFrom: aStream
>> Norbert
>>

>> Is that correct or I am doing it wrong?  All I want to do is to serialize
>> a graph into a stream.
>>
>> The stream I am using is or this:
>>
>> (FileDirectory default forceNewFileNamed:  'Bench')
>>
>> or
>>
>> (RWBinaryOrTextStream on: '')
>>

>> I am not sure if I should be doing a #nextPut: or a #nextPutAll:. I mean,
>> sometimes anObject is a collection and sometimes it is not. So, which one
>> should I use?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>> --