[Pharo-project] RPackage

Cyrille Delaunay cy.delaunay at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 05:24:54 EST 2011

Hello,
Currently I am working on integrate RPackage in pharo, and having it working
in parallel of PackageInfo.
What RPackage is already able to do (or at least until you find something
wrong;)) is:
- synchronize and initialize with the current MCPackages in the system
- update itself when changes are made in the system (new category, new
class, new method, ... ).

Now I was wondering if there would be something to pay attention to with
Monticello. Maybe when saving or importing packages to/from a repository? I
don't know how monticello work, but after looking quickly, that's some
thoughts I had:

1) => *Saving from the image to a repository: *How monticello know if the
package we want to saved is extended by other classes? is there currently a
link between Monticello and Package Info to do that?
2) => *import from a repository into the image: *How do we manage to install
the extension in the right package ?

For the point 1) :

MCPackageManager seems to directly listen to the system events (see
MCPackageManager class >> reregisterForNotificationsWith:), in a parallel
direction than RPackage (with its announcements system). So I guess
Monticello update itself all its packages and check itself when a protocol
is added to know if it's an extension. Therefore there would be nothing to
worry when replacing PackageInfo by RPackage

For the point 2) :

When monticello will import the code, it will create classes, create methods
in some protocols (that can be extensions or not), using the system
interface. Then, Normally each modification will raise the corresponding
event, for which RPackage is listening to (throught the announcement
system). Therefore RPackage will update itself and there would be still
nothing to worry.

For now the only link to make I see, is when creating or deleting a
MCPackage: we have to do the same with the RPackages. This is currently done
in RPackage, by listening to MC changes (look at RPackageOrganizer >>
update:). PackageInfo is directly updated in the MC code instead of
listening to changes.

So I wonder if there is some big  parts I totally forgot ? and In general if
you have something in mind that should be done for RPackage?