[Pharo-project] Pharo and CommandShell on OSX ?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jan 4 22:12:49 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 08:03:42PM -0300, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> ah... I think (if I understood well) the real problem is that OSProcess
> were implementing it's own aio things and now it is relying (correctly)
> in AioPlugin... so, before that, it wasn't important if AioPlugin was
> present, and now it is (btw... UnixOSProcessPlugin don't really need
> AioPlugin, it switches to an ugly but necessary polling when absent)
>
> Cheers,
> Esteban

Yes, that's right. The first version of OSProcess (from 1999) had
OSProcess and the OSProcessPlugin. Over time, it grew and I split
it into packages. Now CommandShell and OSProcess are the image side
packages, and OSProcessPlugin, AioPlugin, and XDisplayControlPlugin
provide the VM plugin support. All of it is written in Smalltalk,
including the plugins.

Originally, CommandShell was part of OSProcess. And originally,
AioPlugin and XDisplayPlugin were part of OSProcessPlugin.

CommandShell uses OSProcess (but loads and runs without it).
OSProcess uses mainly OSProcessPlugin, but also AioPlugin if
available. OSProcess also uses XDisplayControlPlugin when running
on X11, expecially to support #forkSqueak.

The X window system is separate from the operating system,
therefore the XDisplayControlPlugin is separate from the
OSProcessPlugin. The aio functions are separate from the
operating system (they are part of Ian's Unix support code,
but not OS functions per se), so the AioPlugin is also separate
from the OSProcessPlugin.

At the higher level, things that relate directly to operating
system functions and to the representation of OS processes
are part of OSProcess. Things that relate to the pipes, unix
shell syntax, file name globbing, command line parsing, and
shell window display are part of CommandShell.

Dave