[Pharo-project] Smalltalk tools transcript

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 12:58:46 EDT 2011

2011/8/19 Pavel Krivanek <pavel.krivanek at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 19 August 2011 11:41, Pavel Krivanek <pavel.krivanek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Igor changed some uses of "Transcript" to "Smalltalk tools
>>> transcript". Of course it is not bad idea however it has some
>>> unwelcome consequences - mainly it cannot work on images that have no
>>> tools and Pharo Kernel and most of derived images have no ToolRegistry
>>> at all. Currently it breaks Pharo Kernel job on CI server.
>>>
>>> Here are affected methods:
>>>
>>> Object>>crLog: {logging}
>>> Object>>log: {logging}
>>> Object>>logCr: {logging}
>>> Object>>logCrTab: {logging}
>>>
>>> Of course the simplest way how to fix that is revert previous versions
>>> of this methods. However we may use some more general solution where
>>> ToolRegistry will be part of the kernel but then we will have to solve
>>> questions what tools are default, what to do if the tool class is
>>> missing etc.
>>>

>> Is 'Smalltalk' global name part of kernel?
>> If so, then i think SmalltalkImage should be too and ToolRegistry.
>>
>> Tool registry is just a registry. It doesn't imposing the existance of
>> one or another tool.
>> If tool with given name is missing, then attempt to use it will lead for error.
>>

> The question why to have registry for something what is not necessary.
> Some applications may  want to remove tools from the image so to place
> tools support to the kernel is a regression. The only tool that is
> required for the Kernel now is Transcript for some Compiler messages
> etc. I think that there is one much better solution - to remove
> Transcript dependency from the kernel and for such messages to use
> UIManager (something like #log: or maybe better #logStream).
> MorphicUIManager then will use Transcript.
>
> -- Pavel

Then it could be (Smalltalk ui crLog:) instead of (Smalltalk tools
transcript...)
Or (UIManager deault crLog: ).
The question is whether there is any interest in replacing a bunch of
ThisOrThatManagerHandlerOrWhatever by a message send, and dispatch all
these message to the System (Smalltalk).

Nicolas