[Pharo-project] Polymorph improvements

Gary Chambers gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 4 10:20:51 EDT 2011

Hi Lorenzo,

I can't say too much at present but is basically a commercial application for a client for handling postal packages that slip through the rest of their automated processes.

So, using a handheld scanner (like MBagger) it gets a scan of the address label, OCRs it and extracts relevant information that can be passed on to their existing (VB) application, along with, say weight from electronic scales etc.

Currently we are trialling various 3rd party OCR engines: Abbyy, OmniPage and Tesseract (open source).

Of course, I'm making it vastly configurable so there will many potential uses...

Sorry if you were actually think that the OCR itself was done by us in Smalltalk ;-)

Regards, Gary