[Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Community Supported Packages

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon May 17 08:54:13 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Torsten Bergmann <astares at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to follow the discussion on both lists regarding supported packages
> and how/where to manage them by using Metacello. I can not give complete
> feedback
> since I go with Göran here who said "I need to read your thoughts once more
> before giving proper feedback." and I think we all should take the time to
> think about all the implications the different approaches have.
>
> With this discussion we set up the base for the future of package
> maintenance
> but also for collaboration amongst the communities, how images are built,
> ...!
>
> I'm sure we all want to blur the line between in and out of the (whatever)
> image
> and share/reuse as many code/packages as possible within the broader
> community
> (Squeak, Pharo, Cuis, Gemstone, ...). So:
>
> Goal Nr. 1 is: if it is not in my environment then just load it.
> Goal Nr. 2 is: if it is loaded it should work in my environment since it
> brings
>               in anything it needs to work
>
> Currently the discussion and actions seem to focus on where to put the
> configurations (into the image vs. in repositories per version). I'm in
> favour
> of the latter since that is easier to handle and share between platforms
> while having them in the image would limit people who work on various
> platforms, it would not scale and eat more resources for maintenance.
>
> My fear is also that if you have the configurations within the image then
> we all will end up with something similar to the unmaintained SqueakMap
> registrations. With external repos we can also feed CI-Tools (Hudson build
> server, ...)

I agree with all this.

> The only benefit from the "maintining configs in-image" would be that
> it would be easy to build a UI similar to SqueakMap/Universe Browser.
> This is something that has to be solved - especially for Pharo since
> it is not very "user friendly" today, but AFAIK work already started with
> the
> "Loader" project. Agree with Andreas that Metacello needs more work and
> a good browser of available configs would be a plus.

I don't agree here. You DON'T necessary need to have the packages inside the
image to have a UI. If you are using this tool, is because you have internet
connection, otherwise you won't be able to install anything. So, if you have
internet connection, no need to have configurations in the image. They will
be difficult to update and to manage. Even more, having an external repo
pero version, give us a "UI" as you want but reusing the tools we already
have. Ok, it is not perfect, but it works:

As I say, when you distribute Pharo1.0 you include the
Pharo10MetacelloRepository already added. Then, you open Monticello Browser,
browse the repo Pharo10MetacelloRepository, choose the one you want, you
load it with Monticello, and then just evaluate: ConfigurationOfXXX load.
You can even put a class side initialize for that if you want.

Cheers

Mariano