[Pharo-project] A remote workspace

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu May 13 11:51:10 EDT 2010

On 13 May 2010 14:46, Geoffroy Couprie <geo.couprie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 2:51 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 13 May 2010 02:22, Torsten Bergmann <astares at gmx.de> wrote:
>>> Why dont you use the VNC facility of Pharo which is
>>> typically used to administrate Seaside images:
>>>
>>>  http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment/maintaining/vnc
>>>
>>> Just install the RFB package, configure and use a normal
>>> VNC client to remotely use and drive the image.
>>>
>>> So you have workspaces, debuggers, you name it, ...
>>>
>> Remote debugging is a must. Headless, no UI.
>> Remote debugger can create own UI at debugger side, while debugged
>> image could be quite small,
>> contain no UI, Morphic & rest of stuff.
>>
>> Think of debugging a kernel images, where you can't afford having a
>> lot of stuff loaded, not saying about RFB.
>>

> I like the idea of a headless image :)
>
> I don't know how hard it would be to add a remote debugger. Could it
> be done by catching the exceptions on the remote side and sending
> commands like walking the stack from the local side?
>
> For remote administration, it would be fairly easy to have a local UI
> sending commands periodically to remote VMs to ask for status, execute
> some code, etc.

It should be a relatively easy.
A debuggee should need is to encapsulate the objects by some ids,
and then transfer these objects printstrings over a connection, so
debugger could show them.
The debugger consists of a number of panes - 2 inspectors and code.
So, if you implement a remote inspector, you'll have about 40% of job done.

> Best regards,
>
> Geoffroy

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.