[Pharo-project] could we start to organize MetacelloRepository?

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Tue May 11 15:05:06 EDT 2010

On May 10, 2010, at 8:14 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Stef,
>
> Just thinking off the top of my head a bit.
>
>     Conceptually a separate repository makes sense ... then Gofer Project could be
>     setup to to use this repository by default and the standard instructions for
>
>       Gofer project load: 'FFI'.
>       Gofer project load: 'Magma'.
>
>     The difficulty comes in keeping the repository up-to-date....First you'd need
>     to qualify configurations for inclusion (a hudson server for validation) makes
>     sense. For hudson, it would be nice if there were a list of candidate
>     configuration/version pairs that would be tested against ...

tomorrow we will sit with lukas and marcus to see how we can setup an hudson server
on pur server.

>     In reality we are really looking for an approved list of configuration/version
>     pairs that are known to work in Pharo 1.0. So we're probably really interested
>     in expressions like the following:
>
>       Gofer project load: 'FFI' version: '1.2'.
>       Gofer project load: 'Magma' version: '1.0r44'.
>
>     At this point a separate repository becomes a little less useful ... it's not
>     the Configuration alone that the end user is interested in as the version is
>     very important and the important information is that it is "known to work"

For me I thought that we separate repository so that we can have distributions.

>     This leads me to think along the lines of
>
>       - configs from MetacelloRepository
>       - hudson server validating each version for each config
>       - list of config/(latest passing version) pairs published
>
>     It would seem to me that a relatively simple morphic/glamour window could be
>     written that read the config/version pairs from the hudson server and
>     provided a means for selecting/loading the config/version pairs.
>
> How does this sound?

I do not know because I do not foresee the use well.

	Gofer for: #Pharo1.0.
	Gofer project load: 'FFI'

		looks simple to me.
	Then if I want to load a specific version
	Gofer project defaultVersionFor: 'FFI'
			'1.2'
	Gofer project load: 'FFI' version: '1.1' if I need the one before 1.2 if it makes sense.

Stef