[Pharo-project] Which fonts for Pharo 1.1 ?

Henrik Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Tue May 11 03:27:03 EDT 2010

On May 10, 2010, at 10:15 02PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> OK...I like 1) also, but I would care about:
>
> a) Explain and document somewhere how people can install and make truetype to work
> b) Use the VMs that have the fix to issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1803
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Tudor Girba <tudor.girba at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 May 2010, at 19:15, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

> On May 10, 2010, at 4:01 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
> Hi guys. Last Pharo 1.0 images have the TrueType fonts. Now, in Pharo 1.1 Cores we have a StrikeFonts. We have two possibilites:
>
> 1) let those (strike fonts) fonts also for the dev image
> 1)
>
> and people can load TT if they want.
>
> I agree. It also makes distributing images easier.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> 2) Continue to put TrueType in Pharo dev

PS.
Please call it FreeType.
Although the Freetype plugin (the interface to, and user of, you call TrueType) supports using TrueType fonts, it would be nice to be able to disambiguate it from the TrueType-Fonts/Support packages, which is something different entirely:
- Parser for TT-files in Smalltak, which is kind of cool. F.ex. I had a hard time deciphering the values given by the FreeType plugin primitives (at least without RTF external Manual), TTFontReader made getting understandable values directly from the font file easy :)
- Glyph renderer using Balloon, which is not that cool as the resulting graphics are too weak.

Cheers,
Henry