[Pharo-project] The Pharo Linux Vm [WAS] Squeak VM+FT2Plugin, all Pharo 1.0 rc3 tests green

laurent laffont laurent.laffont at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 05:19:28 EDT 2010

2010/3/29 Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com>

>>>  - In the README.TXT we also have to put links for help: squeakvm site,
>>> posts like Laurent or Adrain
>>> - Gunification
>>> - It needs to have a name of PharoXXX. Not squeak. This is VERY confusing
>>> for newcomers.
>>>

>> I agree we need to explain better the distinction between the VM and the
>> image. I'm not sure about renaming squeak-vm -> pharo-vm. It's not a fork. I
>> tend to think it will bring higher confusion.
>>

> I don't agree. Image you are a new comer. For you, Pharo is Pharo. You
> probaly have no idea what Squeak is. So...you go to Pharo website, and
> download the image, and the VM. Imagine when you go to download the VM and
> it says "SqueakVM". I would say "WTF?????"    "WTF is squeak?"
> I am not saying forking the VM. Just to rename it. Actually, the windows VM
> has that name: "
> http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26654/PharoVM-Win32-3.11.8.zip"
> And the same with exupery: "
> http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/24736/pharo-vm-0.15.2f-linux.zip"

OK. So this is one more argument to have a git repository to snapshot VM
sources + patches for Pharo. Then the VM build process should produce
binaries named pharo / pharovm / pharo.sh for all platforms. I don't know if
it's easy, I'll try to take a look.

> Maybe you can open a git repository on INRIA servers so we can keep track
>> of patches + README included in the VM for Pharo. I've used Javier and
>> Levente patches and these are not included in squeak-vm svn. I sent a mail
>> last week on vm-dev but no answers.
>> This way builders can do:
>> git clone git://......squeak-vm
>> cd ..squeak-vm../build
>> ... configure && make && make install.
>> For packagers it would be cool.
>> Developpers can have their own branches and submit patches more easily,
>> add more visibility.
>> With git-svn we can synchronize from official Squeak-VM svn (until they
>> switched to git or another DVCS :)
>>
>> What do you think ?
>>

> I like the idea....but what about the sync with the public/official SVN
> repo ? how we will be able to merge ? or the GIT repo will be only for
> patches ?

You can have a git branch synchronized with squeak-vm subversion (see
http://progit.org/book/ch8-1.html), a git branch for pharo-vm. Then push
regularly changes from squeak-vm branch to pharo-vm branch.
Maybe there's a git expert reading this list ? (I'm not one).

Laurent Laffont