[Pharo-project] Case statement and lazy comparison in Pharo

nullPointer epicfan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 17:49:12 EDT 2010

Well, perhaps is a theme worked in another times but... is possible for Pharo
have a basic Case or elseIf statement? I know is easy create you own
structure control, but not is more useful have a "standard" for everybody?
I´m tired of write code like that...

                        (self currentRow == sortedRows last and: [ self
currentCell isNil ]) ifTrue:
			[
				self navigationKey: event
			]
			ifFalse:
			[
				(self currentRow notNil and: [ self currentCell isNil ]) ifTrue:
				[
					self setCurrentRowToNext.
				]
				ifFalse:
				[
					(self currentRow notNil and: [ self currentCell notNil ]) ifTrue:
					[
						self setCurrentCellToNext.

						self currentCell notNil ifTrue:
						[
							self currentCell performKeyFocus: event inCellBounds: (self
pvtGetCellBounds: self currentCell).
						].
					].
				].
			].

Write code with that format is pathetical :(

Is valid too have a "and" and "or" lazy? Exists a not lazy with #& and #|  ,
but could exists an #&& and #||  . Is more easy...

      value1 == value2 and:[ <condition> ] and: [<condition>] ......

or

     value1 == value2 && <condition> && <condition> ......... ???

Well, perhaps is a stupid question but I miss a more complete way for write
code. If in Smalltalk is possible do easy that and include it in "core" why
not do it?

Is a reasonable desire :)

Regards