[Pharo-project] cull: protocol

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Fri Feb 19 08:03:15 EST 2010

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> Well, ugly was a strong word.
> Reusing less, aka. shorter is a better choice, I guess.

I think the difference is 3 lines for the 4 methods.

> Cheers,
> Henry
>
> PS. In VisualWorks, the two perform equally. *Wishing for a Cog VM to
> test on* :)

There's no inlining VM available ATM (besides SqueakJ, but that can't
run current images) and noone knows when one will be. And even though I
didn't try it, I expect that "inlining by hand" saves time and memory.

> PPS. For those interested, the alternative, faster version Levente made
> can be found at http://paste.lisp.org/display/93130

Here is a working example (the linked version has a bug):
BlockClosure >> cull: argument1 cull: argument2

 	numArgs = 2 ifTrue: [ ^self value: argument1 value: argument2 ].
 	numArgs = 1 ifTrue: [ ^self value: argument1 ].
 	^self value

(For #cull:cull:cull: the difference is ~1.7x if the block has 0 or 1
argument, and ~1.3x if it has 2 arguments)

Levente