[Pharo-project] DateAndTime and TimeStamp precision

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Tue Feb 16 10:44:13 EST 2010

On Feb 16, 2010, at 4:39 PM, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:

> El mar, 16-02-2010 a las 14:39 +0100, Luc Fabresse escribió:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  I think it is related to: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=982
>>  If I remember well, there is no primitive with nano second accuracy
>> so it is impossible to have it in real.
>
> Yes, and indeed nano second accuracy is overkill for my current problem.
> I only want some given precision so that
>
> DateAndTime now < DateAndTime now
>
> is always true, so that can be used to order events (object creation in
> this case) using the date.

I think this was removed as part of speeding up date and time because it was slowing down everything.
(long time ago)

And people where thinking that this is actually not true: if you ask two times for a corse-grained
time, you *can* get the same time twice if you ask faster than the base resolution.

It would be interesting to know how other languages handle this.

INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.