[Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Re: Need your help filling a FAQ

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 14:56:52 EDT 2010

On 25 April 2010 20:46, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:

>>>        - what is the representation that you use to convert it to assembly?
>>>       byteocde or ast
>>>       if AST which one? RBAst?
>>>

>> A NativeBoost package using AsmJit library
>> (http://www.squeaksource.com/AsmJit) for generating native code.
>> Its been ported from AsmJit project (http://code.google.com/p/asmjit/)
>> written in C.
>
> I was more thinking if you analyze the method AST and automatically generate x86.
> But I think that you do it by hand right :)

Yup.
Translating smalltalk code into native code requires an abstraction
layer, i'm yet missing :)

I know what you asking, like, if you can code like this:

myNativeMethod: foo with: bar
<native>

  ^  foo readByte + bar * self

(I following this way , but in another project - Moebius ;) ).
Sure, it can be possible to use it. And i slowly moving in that direction.
The infrastructure in Moebius is following:

(a)(Smalltalk parser) -> (b)(Native intermediate instructions
generator (compiler)) -> (c)(Native code translator)
-> (d)(AsmJit)

I having a, b and d , but c is still not complete.
And sure thing, one can use it for own purposes , since Moebius
implemented purely in smalltalk,
and works in Squeak/Pharo, so potentially it can be retargeted to anything else.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.