[Pharo-project] Iliad 0.8 released!

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 05:54:44 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Henrik Sperre Johansen <
henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no> wrote:

>  On 18.04.2010 01:05, Julian Fitzell wrote:
>
>> Cool stuff, Nicolas. I'm happy to see Grease getting use in the wild...
>> I'm curious to what degree it met your needs?
>>
>> I just recorded a podcast with James Robertson this week talking about
>> cross-platform development. He asked what other projects were using Grease
>> and I'm afraid I didn't know to include yours. :)
>>
>> Julian
>>
> From my limited experience, beyond the ANSI standard, Grease seems like a
>  step forward towards more dialect compatibility,
> 2c: How about a "Greasifier" (Grease lubricate: ? ;) ), which would take as
> input a package/arbitrary unit of code, and emit an equivalent unit of code,
> in which methods whose  bytecodes would be equivalent to the
> dialect-specific Grease method were rewritten to use the Grease equivalent?
> (The other way around would ofc also be possible)

Have you looked at Slime? It contains lint and rewrite rules for a bunch of
non-portable Squeak code. The ones that have rewrite rules will allow you to
replace it with valid Grease code.

It can't catch everything of course, but it's a start. Also, sadly, it's not
currently portable because RB isn't the same on all platforms.

Julian