[Pharo-project] cairo support

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Sun Sep 27 22:19:08 EDT 2009

Damien Cassou wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:
>> should we push rome or the cairo graphics package?
>> I kno wthat they are not at the same level of abstarction but I prefer
>> to ask.
>> Or should rome be based on the cairo graphics package?
>
> I'm in favor of pushing the CairoGraphics package and porting Rome to it.

You should really first understand what Rome is.

First:
Rome is not complete and far from perfect in its current state.

Second:
Rome is a graphics context/canvas level abstraction of vector graphics,
with subclasses supplying implementations for different backends. This
way the same client code would work on Cairo, OpenVG, but also simple
BitBlt (with some less quality). Just look at the current subclasses of
RomeCanvas.
If we "only" support cairo graphics we give up that freedom and
applications would need to implement the portability layer for different
backends.

Rome is also already a relatively low level abstraction.

Michael