[Pharo-project] feedback on CLFramework

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Sun Sep 27 05:18:05 EDT 2009

On Sep 27, 2009, at 11:09 AM, nullPointer wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse-2 wrote:
>>
>> I can tell you I cannot read your code well.
>> So if you want to really have fun with Smalltalk, change.
>>

> But I´m cannot read then with that format. I have fun with
> Smalltalk, but
> for fun i need
> don´t write the code of apocalyptic way :))
> Exists the possibility of give format in browser, selecting the option
> "Pretty print", in the right.
> The format of that option seems the same than you want, and don´t
> change the
> original code.
> Despite I will try to read the book of Kent Beck.

In the long term it will not work. I can tell you.
If everybody reading your code always feels like me it will not work.

>> if you store them as literal arrays probably but inside a string I do
>> not see why.
>>

> But how i can store the state of a object in a Array? exists some
> mechanism
> already do it for that or is needed implement it? Seems difficult.

for User Interface object you only need to store icons and image all
the rest is
what: classname, number, string, boolean and symbols...so we already
now how to store them.
in literal arrays. Do you need more?

The advantage of a array like spec is that it is independent of your
implementation objects
so they will not break each time you change an instance variable. VW
used that since 1996
or even before. They could also produce a web based interface and we
could do the same by pluging
a seaside aware interpreter.

> Well, the application is in alpha state... and not usable for serious
> purposes. I did warn of that :((

This is not a problem. I just wanted to tell you.
But this is good that you publish it anyway.