[Pharo-project] OSProcess question

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Sep 26 14:02:06 EDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 11:04:37AM -0400, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I just tried command shell; are you _sure_ it is possible to proceed past the errors?

No, I had not checked on the most recent Pharo.

So I just downloaded a Pharo image to try it. You can proceed through the
warnings about missing MVC stuff. And when you get to the end of the install,
the CommandShell class>>initialize will put you into a debugger. Comment out
the last line where it is trying to open a CommandShell window, then proceed.
This should get you through the installation.

> It looks badly broken from here.

It looks pretty bad from here also. The Morphic UI no longer works (it was
working the last time I looked at Pharo, but not now). Some AioEventHandlerTestCase
tests are now failing due to something different in Socket. Some of the
CommandShellTestCase tests get hung up when doing very complex command pipelines
(i.e. lots of Process coordination).

But if you limit yourself to running simple commands and do not use the
CommandShell user interface, it should still do what you need.

> I can't say I'm happy with the way Pharo brings things to a halt over deprecated methods; yes, it gets attention before things go away in future release, but there are times when I would like to gag it and just get some work done.

Mea culpa, I just fixed the deprecated method issue in CommandShell, so
if you load the latest version now this problem should be gone.

> I still do not see the tests.  Are you saying that they should have been installed with OSProess itself?  If there are separate packages on ss, I don't see them either.

Open this MC repository:
  MCHttpRepository
     location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/OSProcess'
     user: ''
     password: ''

Then load the latest versions of both of these packags:
  OSProcess
  Tests-OSProcess

Open this MC repository:
  MCHttpRepository
     location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/CommandShell'
     user: ''
     password: ''

And load the latest versions of both these packages:
  CommandShell
  Tests-CommandShell

HTH,
Dave