[Pharo-project] Deploying Seaside: A tutorial

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 12:19:29 EDT 2009

El mié, 23-09-2009 a las 13:18 -0100, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:

> 2009/9/22 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <miguel.coba at gmail.com>
>         I have to written a tutorial about deploying Seaside
>         applications to
>         production servers. The tutorial uses a simple application to
>         test a
>         setup with following components:
>
>         Debian GNU/Linux
>         lighttpd
>         Magma server
>         Magma seasideHelper
>         Seaside 2.8
>         PharoCore
>
>         You can find the tutorial here:
>
>         http://miguel.leugim.com.mx/index.php/2009/09/18/deploying-seaside-applications/
>         http://miguel.leugim.com.mx/index.php/2009/09/22/deploying-seaside-install-the-squeak-vm/
>         http://miguel.leugim.com.mx/index.php/2009/09/22/deploying-seaside-prepare-the-images/
>         http://miguel.leugim.com.mx/index.php/2009/09/22/deploying-seaside-populate-directories/
>         http://miguel.leugim.com.mx/index.php/2009/09/22/deploying-seaside-configuring-the-webserver/
>
>         Hopefully this will add to the collective knowledge and will
>         answer some
>         questions we all have had with respect to deploying Seaside.
>         There are a couple of post that I must write yet, the
>         SeasideProxyTester
>         explanation and the load testing ones but you can have a fully
>         configured setup to try and adapt to your needs.
>
>         Critics and comments are welcome.
>

> This is an excellent tutorial. Do you have some production webapps
> with this? How much RAM do you need to have something like the
> deployment architecture you used? (I am thinking in the VPSs)

Yes I have one but isn't announced yet. I'm using vpslink.com (is not an
endorsement but it is cheap and stable and you get full root control of
the server. I don't like that they use openvz or virtuozzo for the
virtualization and that the machines can't have swap space in case tha
ram isn't enough for your process, you must upgrade to a bigger ram
plan, but hey, I don't have a lot of users yet :)) but you can also use
slicehost.com that is as cheap as vpslink but they give you 64 bit
architectures.
My server has 1 GB ram, x86 CPU and only the bare bones OS installed. I
use it also for other things as my other sites and several blogs, a
virtual domain mail server over mysql and antispam. Anyway this left me
with 570 MB free for my application. Using the exact setup shown, I can
launch 1 Magma image, and 3 Seaside images.
In the following posts I will put the results of load testing on my
development machine (Core 2 Duo, 4 GB ram) vs this production server but
earlier results show in my development machine until 200 request/sec
with 20 Seaside images without using magma. Using magma I got 20 req/sec
in my development machine. In the production server I got a lot less, as
the machine is less powerfull and has less Seaside images, just
20req/sec without magma and 6 req/sec with magma. In any case, wait for
the post about the exact results and the scripts to replicate it on your
own setup.
This should give a way to reliable (well, a little more) replicate and
compare stress loading results with Seaside alone and with Seaside and
Magma.

Cheers

> Cheers,
>
> Mariano