[Pharo-project] Gofer vs Installer

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 10:23:59 EDT 2009

El lun, 21-09-2009 a las 13:46 +0200, Lukas Renggli escribió:
> I've posted a blog entry (based on the class-comment of the Gofer
> class) to get people started.
>
>   http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/gofer
>
> Lukas

>From the post:

Now the following expressions can be used at any time:

gofer load
Load all packages.
gofer update
Update all packages.
gofer merge Merge all packages into their working copies.
gofer diff Display the difference between the working copy and the base
version of all packages.
gofer commit Commit all modified packages.
gofer revert Revert all packages to their base version.
gofer recompile Recompile all packages.
gofer unload Unload all packages.

This is something that I can't understand. Is this supposed to be a
package management system per se, a la Metacello, aptitude, yum??
Isn't just a installer of MC packages but tries to manage the MC
database of packages in a way that is clean and *atomic*?

So, there will be a registry of gofer installed operations so that can
be utilized after the install operation (maybe months later)?

Or will just be for trying to install some group of packages and if some
error happens immediatly revert?

Can you relate the scenarios showing how gofer is intended to use,
because until now (maybe my narrow perspective) the examples shown can
be done also with ScriptLoader and Installer.

Other thing, I tried to convert my image install script but I can't
finish because I install packages from monticello configurations (magma
1.0r42) and from my local directory repository. Neither of those options
can be handled by gofer (as far as I can see). Of course this can be
corrected, it is just to integrate the correct MC installer classes.

That reminds me other thing, Installer can handle monticello
configurations, is the corresponding way of loading the packages using
gofer to list each package in the mcm file in a gofer script? So mcm
will not used or it is just that there have no been time to add those
capability to gofer?

Thanks

--
Miguel Cobá