[Pharo-project] Status of Alien FFI

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Mon Sep 21 06:45:28 EDT 2009

I hope I'll remember to watch it later, but this type of thing has been going on for a long time. I remember a friend of mine getting excited about a thing called Actor.  There was this weird thing called Smalltalk, and these guys (Whitewater Group??) came along and "fixed" it by giving it C syntax.  Not meaning to bash my friend; just pointing out how long people have been trying to take part of Smalltalk without really understanding the bulk of it.

To be fair, look no further than Croquet for some blame here.  They insisted on making an immersive 3D system rather than factoring it to provide whatever level the user might want.  Maybe later we can start up a group to pull their retained mode framework into Pharo to serve simulation and gaming projects.  Let's leave Tweak behind though.

Bill