[Pharo-project] Is there a way to use rename refactor while preserving whitespace formatting in refactored methods?

Philippe Marschall kustos at gmx.net
Sun Sep 20 05:41:07 EDT 2009

T. J. Richter wrote:
> Hi, I am using Pharo with the default browser, which is the OmniBrowser. When I
> right-click on a message name in the right-most panel and choose "rename
> refactor" from the menu, enter the new name and accept, the message sends are
> renamed, but the whitespace formatting in those refactored methods is not
> preserved. Is there any way at present to do this while keeping the formatting
> intact?

That's why I don't use the refactoring tools in Smalltalk. That's also
why the vendors themselves don't use the refactoring tools in Smalltalk
[1]. Even though they like to brag in other places how cool their
refactoring tools are. And don't tell me how hard it is. Eclipse does it
and their AST is more than an order of magnitude more complex.

 [1] http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?entry=3426663681

Cheers
Philippe