[Pharo-project] Startup/shutdown anecdote

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tue Sep 15 15:58:32 EDT 2009

Mariano,

I did not have to put anything in the startup/shutdown lists.  In keeping with the state of the art in Squeak/Pharo, the ODBC package breaks and reconnects everything across snapshots vs. on shutdown and true starts.  Add to that a pre-production vpn (University's fault) and a particularly stubborn odbc driver[*], and Pharo came to a grinding hault.  There was no way to tell it to back off on the Sisyphean task.  Still being on that machine, I restarted the vpn, loaded the image, and save it again, but a change to session managment would skip the hassle.

Bill

    http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/StartupAndShutdown

[*] I assume that is the problem at least.  It had no hope of finding the server, and appeared not to recognize same and report it as an error.  Ubuntu informed me that the vm was waiting on a connecting socket, so it fits.