[Pharo-project] getting rid of these boring questions and popup

Philippe Marschall kustos at gmx.net
Sun Sep 13 15:47:12 EDT 2009

Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> One of the things that set me off was "I think this whole 80ies style browser that's based on scrolling, clicking and popups doesn't cut it anymore and adding more tabs and buttons isn't gonna fix it."  Imagine our collective foolishness using scrollbars and other familiar GUI metaphors, and telling a user they might be about to do something they might regret ;)  Certainly prompts for confirmation can get out of hand and become counter-productive (that is afterall the subject of this thread).

When I know where I want to go (class, method, ...) I am far faster
there in Eclipse than in a Smalltalk browser. A big part of that is
scrolling and clicking. Because these are unnecessary actions that just
take time.

Take the Firefox Awsome Bar as an example. Let's say you want to visit a
site that you have visited before. You go to the Awsome Bar (shortcut
Ctrl + L) and type part of the title. A list that is automatically
filtered is displayed and you can select from there. Compare that with
opening the bookmarks menu, selecting the right category, and then
searching for the right entry. You don't notice how cool and useful this
is until you switch to an other browser that doesn't have this like
Safari. An other good example is the Spotlight Search in Mac OS. Staring
an application, opening a document, ..., everything just a few key
strokes away. No scrolling, no clicking. Code browsing should be like
this and Eclipse is far closer to this than the Smalltalk browser.

> However, you went on to say "Short anecdote, I our current project we don't ask the user for confirmation, ever."  Taken all together, it sounds wreckless to me.

Based on analysis of how the users used to old software. The pop ups
just prevented them from getting work done. The didn't read them,
really, often they just clicked them away before they were fully
rendered. As soon as they want their pop ups back we put them back. So
far nobody did.

Cheers
Philippe