[Pharo-project] May be some problems with MC history

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 03:09:40 EDT 2009

> Does any (lukas) use the history feature to merge?

Sometimes, if I would like to merge changes made in another branch.
Imagine the following situation:

    a.1 ---- wc (working copy)
        \---- b.1 --- b.2

Now I want to include the changes that happened between b.2 and b.3,
but not those that were done between a.1 and b.1. I use the history
and to calculate a diff between b.1 and b.2 and selectively load the
changes. If the changes are separate from what happened between a.1
and wc and a.1 and b.1 this should be relatively simple. Unfortunately
Monticello cannot figure out such dependencies, because it keeps the
ancestry on a package level only. In fact, with Monticello 2 an
operation like this should be smooth and automatic like a normal
merge.

> I will retry to do the changes one by one and run the tests in between
> to see what went wrong
> but I 'm not sure that what is going wrong is the changes (I have the
> impression that may be MC history is not capturing
> exactly everything but I can be wrong).

MC1 does not capture the ancestry of the individual methods, that's
why you have to extremely careful and check if you do not override
changes that were made between a.1 and wc and if you do not introduce
changes made between a.1 and b.1. I know this can be very tricky,
especially when there are many changes between a.1 and wc and a.1 and
b.1. MC2 promises rescue here.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli