[Pharo-project] Make things easy for newcomers!! (Was: Re: OSProcess and SqueakMap)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 20:50:54 EDT 2009

A new blood in the herd! Wellcome.

As for the rest of gray-beards, i wonder, how long it to make a
debugger window to pop-up with
one additional button, named 'file a but report' so then any newcomers
will send a proper stack trace instead
of a screenshot and implementation of DNU method?

Ross, do not take it as an insult to you. :)

2009/9/7 Ross Boylan <ross at biostat.ucsf.edu>:
> On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 19:12 -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

>> > OSProcess loaded fine, but CommandShell says PluggableTextController and
>> > PluggableTextView.
>>
>> Those are the MVC classes for CommandShell (which works for both Morphic
>> and MVC). MVC has been removed from Pharo. Don't worry about these error
>> messages; the rest should load fine.
> I proceeded past the error above and another warning that MVC was not
> loaded.  I've attached details on it.  The save to file doesn't seem to
> have much info, so I also put in a screen shot.  The shot also show the
> progress bar at the very start.
>>
>> > Do I need the OSProcess plugin?
>>
>> Yes. It is also good (but not required) to have AioPlugin and XDisplayControlPlugin.
>> All three are usually included in Unix VMs, and OSProcessPlugin is probably included
>> if you are using OS X. For Windows you would need to build it yourself.
> I'm on linux.  Am I correct that the plugin source is only useful if you
> then run VMMaker to make a VM--i.e., bringing it in to an image will not
> get you a working plugin?
>>
>> Dave

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.