[Pharo-project] The better debugger support by extending an Object protocol

Henrik Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Mon Sep 7 12:07:54 EDT 2009

Well, if the goal is to be able to differentiate between two objects who
should behave similar in all cases except when you print them while
debugging, I can't really think of any better ways :)

Playing the devil's advocate, here's two things to consider:
- Some people will likely expect *all* proxies to behave like that in a
debugger, enforcing consistent use may be hard.
- Some (other) people will likely see debugPrintOn:, and figure it's
cool to use it for any object they want additional info about at a
glance in a debugger. (not saying that is necessarily a bad thing)

Maybe a good way to clarify its intended usage would be implementing
debugPrintOn: in a  ProxyTrait?
This also ensures a consistent manner for how proxies are distinguished
from the real. (assuming of course, the implementation for different
proxies you were thinking of follows a constant pattern)

Personally, I found inspecting the field to see the actual class of the
object to be of negligible overhead in situations where knowing whether
it's a proxy or a "real" object is really important.
So for me, this change falls in the category "not useful enough that I'd
spend time coding it myself, but useful enough that I'd use it if
available" :)

Cheers,
Henry