[Pharo-project] Impossible launc/use Lumiere

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 19:01:10 EDT 2009

2009/9/4 nullPointer <epicfan at gmail.com>:

> but could be possible in Lumiere, for example, use external widgets libs of
> OpenGL?
> the problem for me is the widgets. Exists only a few basic widgets in
> Morphic/Polymorph, and be hard of do for me. Or create a new set of widgets
> in Morphic or use something do it external. The problem for me not is the
> way of Morphic is drawed, else the way of Morphic is do it. Im developing a
> UIBuilder and the main problem is unify all events and properties of
> differents widgets in a same public interface (via Traits). Perhaps that  it
> is not worth the pain and is best create a set of widgets from start; and if
> is possible use OpenGL still better.

Sorry, maybe i don't understand something...
But how OpenGL could help you with having a richer set of widgets?
An OpenGL is a very basic drawing library, where you can draw the
simplest primitives:
- points, lines, triangles.
Yes, you can do many tricks with OpenGL, but still all you have is
basically points, lines and triangles.

> Regards, and thanks for the help.
>
> And excuse me for my poor english :))
>

> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> 2009/9/4 nullPointer <epicfan at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> I try use Lumiere
>>>
>>> http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/ESUG2009Media/uploads/1/lumiereIWST-2.pdf
>>>
>>>  for show a sample OpenGL window but don´t works. I dont know what i
>>> doing
>>> bad.What is needed for use OpenGL in Pharo?
>>>
>>> Is a stupid idea use OpenGL under Pharo for create 2d UIs ?  My idea is
>>> use
>>> Lumiere for build UIs embedded in a morphic window, but with OpenGL
>>> widgets,
>>> buttons, textboxes etc  s  is a possible idea?  I could for example use
>>> OpenGL external widgets libs for use in Lumiere? Will be fantastic do a
>>> UIBuilder using that. If Lumiere dont works for that exists another lib o
>>> posibility?
>>
>> yes, there is. Called GLMorphic. see at squeaksource. And its already
>> drawing all morphic UI using opengl calls.
>> Lumiere is more about rendering 3d scenery, not 2d UI.
>> But it contains the full OpenGL bindings (using Alien), so, nothing
>> prevents you from writing own stuff & doing anything with it.
>> There is also OpenVG binding API, which i bound recently to Squeak/Pharo
>> it is for drawing 2d vector graphics using different kinds of shapes,
>> fills etc. It resembles pretty much
>> of the same functionality as in Adobe Flash - gradients, fills,
>> strokes, patterns, images etc etc.
>> It is waiting for you to explore :)
>> Unfortunately the OpenVG plugin iz available for windoze only.
>>

>>> Regards
>>> --
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,