[Pharo-project] Higher priority processes using ThreadSafeTranscript throw Error: Error: Instances of UndefinedObject are not indexable (was Re: Issue 1053: )

Stan Shepherd stan.shepherd414 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 05:43:38 EDT 2009

Hi, if you fork processes at a higher priority, they still throw the error in
issue 1053. In core 10428 I more often get Instances of UndefinedObject are
not indexable. It is trying to send size to a MultiNewParagraph while it is
still nil. By the time the debugger opens, the object is there.

Test case attached, although I can't get it to catch the error. Use with
***caution***. In the one click image it often freezes the image.

http://n2.nabble.com/file/n3565757/NSThreadsafeTranscriptPriorityTest.st
NSThreadsafeTranscriptPriorityTest.st

It seems like this may be the case Dale identified- "I assume that with a
sufficiently complex test case, involving heavy background window updates
while using some of the operations that call #displayWorldSafely a problem
would be revealed, but there's no guarantee that a mutex would be the
solution".

Cheers,    ...Stan