[Pharo-project] [ENH] Literal Byte Arrays

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Fri Jan 30 08:29:19 EST 2009

Lukas,

I had pretty much resigned to going without this - not sure why given
how much I grip about other stuff :)  There are indeed efficiency
considerations, but it's also a big step in compatibility.

THANKS!!!

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 273-6785
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> renggli at gmail.com 01/30/09 4:55 AM >>>
> so do I understand correctly that your point is to replace
>        asByteArray by #[]

Yes, instead of writing

    #( 1 2 3 ) asByteArray

you write

    #[ 1 2 3 ]

Which is much faster and saves memory, as no conversion and no copying
happens at runtime. All Smalltalk dialects (with the exception of
GemStone) support this syntax. Pharo should have it too.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch