[Pharo-project] [Pharo-Project] Pharo scripting

Alexandre Bergel alexandre at bergel.eu
Tue Jan 20 10:10:49 EST 2009

> No, it is not:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/manual/html_node/Syntax.html
>
> It looks like it is indeed quite similar to the saphir syntax

Indeed. I think Paolo changes the syntax on some point. Last time I
checked it (few years ago), it employed bangs (!)

>> I think that the syntax is not the most relevant part of this work.
>> What is critical in my opinion, is to have a robust scripting
>> facility. I do not want to use jruby to do the scripting I need to
>> do.
>
> It is useful, yes. However, I don't see where it fits in the
> Squeak UI of browsers and Monticello. Perhaps some borrowing
> from NewSpeak is necessary in this case

Why should it fits in the Squeak UI or browsers?
Often I have to write few and simple scripts to perform an actions on
my files, or simply to provide a textual calculator. Currently I use
jruby.

But as Stef said, we should not make such debate here.

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu