[Pharo-project] [Pharo-Project] Pharo scripting

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 10:04:23 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 09:58:25AM -0500, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 03:50:21PM +0100, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
> > As far as I remember, the scripting syntax of GNU Smalltalk is very
> > close to the changeset's.
> >

> No, it is not:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/manual/html_node/Syntax.html
>
> It looks like it is indeed quite similar to the saphir syntax
>
> > I think that the syntax is not the most relevant part of this work.
> > What is critical in my opinion, is to have a robust scripting
> > facility. I do not want to use jruby to do the scripting I need to do.
>
> It is useful, yes. However, I don't see where it fits in the
> Squeak UI of browsers and Monticello. Perhaps some borrowing
> from NewSpeak is necessary in this case

One application I know for this would be build scripting, like
make or rake. Keith created Sake, a squeak build scripting
system, but due to it being wraped around classes and methods,
it bears very little resemblance to more common systems like
Make and Rake. Whether this is good or bad, or just different, I
haven't yet decided