[Pharo-project] Pharo name conflict

David Hammond dhammond at webdevout.net
Wed Jan 14 19:56:34 EST 2009

Hi, I don't intend to cause a big fuss, but I have a concern about the
name of your project.

I first became aware of your project yesterday when I ran a Google
search for the word "pharo". This is the name I had chosen for my open
source PHP framework project back in January of 2008. At the time, the
Smalltalk-related Pharo project did not yet exist, and the Google
search results yielded nothing at all similar or relevant to the
project I wanted to start. I purchased pharo.org that month (with
trac.pharo.org, svn.pharo.org, and apt-trunk.pharo.org currently in
active use) and made a teaser post about the project on my blog:
http://www.webdevout.net/tidings/2008/01/15/the-pyramids-werent-built-in-a-day/

My intention is to release the Pharo PHP framework under a BSD license
and not profit directly from the project. I have no stakes in
preserving the exclusiveness of the "Pharo" name aside from avoiding
possible confusion. But I do believe that the name conflict is an
issue of concern, since both of our projects are directly related to
programming languages.