[Pharo-project] Backporting function in MC

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 08:38:50 EDT 2009

> I am glad you found this description useful. I am authoring a chapter
> on Monticello for PharoByExample, and there is a section dedicated on
> this functionality. However, I haven't been convinced this is a
> feature really useful since I know no-one who used it.

Avi wrote that feature at ESUG in the car somewhere between Hannover
and Köethen. We were discussing the implementation several times
during that 8 hour drive. I used it a couple of times.

What I find easier (because I don't have to load the other version) is
to open a merge dialog with the other version and selectively pick
some changes and click on 'Install' in the context menu. Then
close/cancel the merge dialog and click on 'Adapt' and select the just
merged version. I don't exactly know about the semantic differences
between the two approaches, could well be that my approach ends up
with a nightmare later on but so far it worked well for me.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch