[Pharo-project] Pharo windows hanging ...

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 14:38:59 EDT 2009

2009/4/22 stepken <stepken at web.de>:
> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>  > This is because all do-its executed in process, which responsible from
>  > handling UI events.
>  > To avoid 'hanging' you can just do like following:
>  > [ do what you need ] fork.
>
> Oh, yes!
>
> Then i commanded a Full GC. I had to clean some 16 MByte Smalltalk stuff
> on my Notebook. 15 Seconds I had to wait, till my keystrokes and mouse
> events were accepted back again by Pharo GUI.
>
> Well, in the meantime, the seaside process was unresponsive.
>
> Ok, no real problem. Customers can wait and I have my coffee breaks ;-)
>
> World Wide Wait with Seaside Servers on Pharo ...

this is not a particularily Pharo issue. Squeak VM employs a green
threading model which means that only a single process can be active
at a single point of time, and the order how they proceed are
determined by scheduler.

I understand the reasons of your sarcasm, yes.. its not perfect! Many,
many code in Squeak (and consequently in Pharo) is naively implemented
(including UI), and without concurrency in mind.
But this is not the only UI framework which hates the concurrency -
take a look at "groundbreaking" Mac OS :)

> Sorry, no access to The Salty Spitoon .... (not yet) ;-)
>
> Have fun, Guido Stepken

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.