[Pharo-project] Replacing 'ReadStream on smth:' by 'smth readStream'

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sun Jun 1 09:58:35 EDT 2008

Stef,

My email server crashed yesterday and was out of action for several
hours.  From emails I found this morning, it looks like Damien and I
will cook up a plan on the Wiki.  With luck, we will be able to get the
RB to do the tedious work, and also leave a simple defined procedure for
converting "old" code that we did not have loaded during the
transformation.  Transformed code should work as it always did; new code
will be able to benefit from consistent semantics and exception
handling.  There will also be silently truncating methods for the
situations (and they indeed exist) that call for them.

More to come.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> stephane.ducasse at inria.fr 05/31/08 4:22 PM >>>

On May 30, 2008, at 10:46 PM, Bill Schwab wrote:

> Stef,
>
> Whether or not I agree depends on what you mean.  While I think I
> see where Damien is going, my read is that #on: is actually
> negotiable, given that we should be able to either fix (or simply
> replace and than alias) ReadStream - two different ways of solving
> the same problem.  But if you concerned about breaking some things
> that Damien and I are committed to fixing as part of the change,
> then I submit that we will be helpless when we move from the
> relatively calm world of streams to the chaos of morphic.

You lost me. :)

> Which part bothers you?

None :)

> The plan is to rennovate (sometimes messy) and *then* slowly evolve
> the resulting stable system, right?

The plan is to move but be careful. This is why I would like you guys
to tell us
what you want to do (or are doing) so that we can document the changes
and everybody can participate
and help also fixing if necessary. I just want more organized
communication when we have a "big" change.
No more.

Stef