pharo-users@lists.pharo.org

Any question about pharo is welcome

View all threads

Problem with Pharo 9 - repositories missing

david@totallyobjects.com
Sun, Apr 11, 2021 11:43 AM

Hi everyone.

I have a simple talk, or so I thought. I am trying to port a Mac
Pharo/Seaside project to either a Windows 2012 server or to a Windows 10
laptop. I have set up my git credentials and that all works fine. However,
when I install either 8.0 or 9.0 on my Windows 10 laptop it shows he
following

Repositories  --  status

Pharo                    Local repository missing

Pharo-spec2                      Local repository missing

Pharo-newtools                                Local repository missing

Iceberg                Local repository missing

Libgit-pharo-bindings                    Local repository missing

tonel                      Local repository missing

What on earth is going on here as installing Pharo on my Mac was seamless. I
have to get the project onto a Windows machine as these are the only servers
that I have. I really can't be this difficult, can it?

How do I get out of this mess, given that that is a clean install?

David

Totally Objects

Hi everyone. I have a simple talk, or so I thought. I am trying to port a Mac Pharo/Seaside project to either a Windows 2012 server or to a Windows 10 laptop. I have set up my git credentials and that all works fine. However, when I install either 8.0 or 9.0 on my Windows 10 laptop it shows he following Repositories -- status Pharo Local repository missing Pharo-spec2 Local repository missing Pharo-newtools Local repository missing Iceberg Local repository missing Libgit-pharo-bindings Local repository missing tonel Local repository missing What on earth is going on here as installing Pharo on my Mac was seamless. I have to get the project onto a Windows machine as these are the only servers that I have. I really can't be this difficult, can it? How do I get out of this mess, given that that is a clean install? David Totally Objects
SD
Stéphane Ducasse
Sun, Apr 11, 2021 11:57 AM

What the system is telling you is that:
while the code of the projects is in your image/changes, the system does not know (it cannot invent because
you could running it on the moon or mars for example) where are the git repositories where it could find the
working copies and the versionned elements of such packages.

I think that the status is pretty clear.
So if you want to load code via git from your new machine there is no magic.
Git is a distributed versioning system so you have to clone your repo locally and tell it to Pharo.
Now iceberg is quite cool because if you do repair it will
- clone
- configure your working so that it correspond to the code version in your image
- probably fetching some version.

In fact there is no difference between your mac talking to github and another repository.
You have local and remotes + pharo (another kind of local).

So Pharo alone can work but it cannot guess where you decided to store your local git repositories.

I hope that it helps.

On 11 Apr 2021, at 13:43, David@totallyobjects.com wrote:

[...]

http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org
03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

What the system is telling you is that: while the code of the projects is in your image/changes, the system does not know (it cannot invent because you could running it on the moon or mars for example) where are the git repositories where it could find the working copies and the versionned elements of such packages. I think that the status is pretty clear. So if you want to load code via git from your new machine there is no magic. Git is a distributed versioning system so you have to clone your repo locally and tell it to Pharo. Now iceberg is quite cool because if you do repair it will - clone - configure your working so that it correspond to the code version in your image - probably fetching some version. In fact there is no difference between your mac talking to github and another repository. You have local and remotes + pharo (another kind of local). So Pharo alone can work but it cannot guess where you decided to store your local git repositories. I hope that it helps. S > On 11 Apr 2021, at 13:43, David@totallyobjects.com wrote: > > Hi everyone. > > I have a simple talk, or so I thought. I am trying to port a Mac Pharo/Seaside project to either a Windows 2012 server or to a Windows 10 laptop. I have set up my git credentials and that all works fine. However, when I install either 8.0 or 9.0 on my Windows 10 laptop it shows he following > Repositories -- status > Pharo Local repository missing > Pharo-spec2 Local repository missing > Pharo-newtools Local repository missing > Iceberg Local repository missing > Libgit-pharo-bindings Local repository missing > tonel Local repository missing > > What on earth is going on here as installing Pharo on my Mac was seamless. I have to get the project onto a Windows machine as these are the only servers that I have. I really can’t be this difficult, can it? > > How do I get out of this mess, given that that is a clean install? > David > Totally Objects -------------------------------------------- Stéphane Ducasse http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org 03 59 35 87 52 Assistant: Aurore Dalle FAX 03 59 57 78 50 TEL 03 59 35 86 16 S. Ducasse - Inria 40, avenue Halley, Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650 France
SJ
Sebastian Jordan
Sun, Apr 11, 2021 11:45 PM

You have to set up your repositories through a fork. You can read:
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo#step-1-setting-up-your-repository

That applies for all repositories: iceberg, spec2, etc.

[...]

You have to set up your repositories through a fork. You can read: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo#step-1-setting-up-your-repository That applies for all repositories: iceberg, spec2, etc. ________________________________ From: david@totallyobjects.com <david@totallyobjects.com> Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2021 7:43:17 AM To: pharo-users@lists.pharo.org <pharo-users@lists.pharo.org> Subject: [Pharo-users] Problem with Pharo 9 - repositories missing Hi everyone. I have a simple talk, or so I thought. I am trying to port a Mac Pharo/Seaside project to either a Windows 2012 server or to a Windows 10 laptop. I have set up my git credentials and that all works fine. However, when I install either 8.0 or 9.0 on my Windows 10 laptop it shows he following Repositories -- status Pharo Local repository missing Pharo-spec2 Local repository missing Pharo-newtools Local repository missing Iceberg Local repository missing Libgit-pharo-bindings Local repository missing tonel Local repository missing What on earth is going on here as installing Pharo on my Mac was seamless. I have to get the project onto a Windows machine as these are the only servers that I have. I really can’t be this difficult, can it? How do I get out of this mess, given that that is a clean install? David Totally Objects
SV
Sven Van Caekenberghe
Mon, Apr 12, 2021 6:56 AM

David,

Since you have so much trouble building on Windows, I would suggest building a deployment image on macOS and then copy that over to Windows (*.image *.changes *.sources), install a VM on Windows, and run headless with a startup.st script.

Sven

On 11 Apr 2021, at 13:43, david@totallyobjects.com david@totallyobjects.com wrote:

[...]

David, Since you have so much trouble building on Windows, I would suggest building a deployment image on macOS and then copy that over to Windows (*.image *.changes *.sources), install a VM on Windows, and run headless with a startup.st script. Sven > On 11 Apr 2021, at 13:43, <david@totallyobjects.com> <david@totallyobjects.com> wrote: > > Hi everyone. > > I have a simple talk, or so I thought. I am trying to port a Mac Pharo/Seaside project to either a Windows 2012 server or to a Windows 10 laptop. I have set up my git credentials and that all works fine. However, when I install either 8.0 or 9.0 on my Windows 10 laptop it shows he following > Repositories -- status > Pharo Local repository missing > Pharo-spec2 Local repository missing > Pharo-newtools Local repository missing > Iceberg Local repository missing > Libgit-pharo-bindings Local repository missing > tonel Local repository missing > > What on earth is going on here as installing Pharo on my Mac was seamless. I have to get the project onto a Windows machine as these are the only servers that I have. I really can’t be this difficult, can it? > > How do I get out of this mess, given that that is a clean install? > David > Totally Objects
RS
Richard Sargent
Mon, Apr 12, 2021 7:04 AM

Sven and everyone else, these are good, pragmatic suggestions. But, the lack of understanding is surely frustrating for David (and for me watching from the sidelines).

Can anyone explain why the Windows experience is so radically different from everything else? (Ok, I admit that Windows is a horrible p.o.s. But, it's not some non-human language that cannot be understood. (Ok. Maybe it is.))

On April 11, 2021 11:56:08 PM PDT, Sven Van Caekenberghe sven@stfx.eu wrote:

[...]

Sven and everyone else, these are good, pragmatic suggestions. But, the lack of understanding is surely frustrating for David (and for me watching from the sidelines). Can anyone explain why the Windows experience is so radically different from everything else? (Ok, I admit that Windows is a horrible p.o.s. But, it's not some non-human language that cannot be understood. (Ok. Maybe it is.)) On April 11, 2021 11:56:08 PM PDT, Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven@stfx.eu> wrote: >David, > >Since you have so much trouble building on Windows, I would suggest >building a deployment image on macOS and then copy that over to Windows >(*.image *.changes *.sources), install a VM on Windows, and run >headless with a startup.st script. > >Sven > >> On 11 Apr 2021, at 13:43, <david@totallyobjects.com> ><david@totallyobjects.com> wrote: >> >> Hi everyone. >> >> I have a simple talk, or so I thought. I am trying to port a Mac >Pharo/Seaside project to either a Windows 2012 server or to a Windows >10 laptop. I have set up my git credentials and that all works fine. >However, when I install either 8.0 or 9.0 on my Windows 10 laptop it >shows he following >> Repositories -- status >> Pharo Local repository missing >> Pharo-spec2 Local repository missing >> Pharo-newtools Local repository >missing >> Iceberg Local repository missing >> Libgit-pharo-bindings Local repository missing >> tonel Local repository missing >> >> What on earth is going on here as installing Pharo on my Mac was >seamless. I have to get the project onto a Windows machine as these are >the only servers that I have. I really can’t be this difficult, can it? >> >> How do I get out of this mess, given that that is a clean install? >> David >> Totally Objects
TT
Tomaž Turk
Mon, Apr 12, 2021 7:20 AM

Hi, I use Pharo 8 & 9, 32 & 64 on Windows 10 without any problems,
except when packages use complex directory structure (path length
challenge) that was already mentioned in Seaside thread and elsewhere.

Repositories Pharo, Pharo-spec2 etc. are not needed for usual tasks,
except if you would like to propose PRs for those - this is the only
circumstance that I can think of. As Stephane said, "the code of the
projects is in your image/changes", so nothing is missing for the
business as usual. I don't know if these get copied from github
automatically on MacOS, though, but what would be the purpose of that?

Best wishes,
Tomaz

Hi, I use Pharo 8 & 9, 32 & 64 on Windows 10 without any problems, except when packages use complex directory structure (path length challenge) that was already mentioned in Seaside thread and elsewhere. Repositories Pharo, Pharo-spec2 etc. are not needed for usual tasks, except if you would like to propose PRs for those - this is the only circumstance that I can think of. As Stephane said, "the code of the projects is in your image/changes", so nothing is missing for the business as usual. I don't know if these get copied from github automatically on MacOS, though, but what would be the purpose of that? Best wishes, Tomaz
DP
David Pennington
Mon, Apr 12, 2021 10:08 AM

That worked perfectly. I copied the three files across, created a new VM, copied my database and (apart from a single issue) everything worked fine.

Thank you so much for your help. It never occurred to me that this would be possible.

There is one big difference between Windows and the Mac but I will post that as a separate item.

Again, many thanks.

If you are interested, check out IPMS Clacton Web Site http://www.ipms-clacton.org.uk/ and browse around
David
BTW, avid user of STON - crucial addition to my database.

On 12 Apr 2021, at 07:56, Sven Van Caekenberghe sven@stfx.eu wrote:

[...]

That worked perfectly. I copied the three files across, created a new VM, copied my database and (apart from a single issue) everything worked fine. Thank you so much for your help. It never occurred to me that this would be possible. There is one big difference between Windows and the Mac but I will post that as a separate item. Again, many thanks. If you are interested, check out IPMS Clacton Web Site <http://www.ipms-clacton.org.uk/> and browse around David BTW, avid user of STON - crucial addition to my database. > On 12 Apr 2021, at 07:56, Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven@stfx.eu> wrote: > > David, > > Since you have so much trouble building on Windows, I would suggest building a deployment image on macOS and then copy that over to Windows (*.image *.changes *.sources), install a VM on Windows, and run headless with a startup.st script. > > Sven > >> On 11 Apr 2021, at 13:43, <david@totallyobjects.com> <david@totallyobjects.com> wrote: >> >> Hi everyone. >> >> I have a simple talk, or so I thought. I am trying to port a Mac Pharo/Seaside project to either a Windows 2012 server or to a Windows 10 laptop. I have set up my git credentials and that all works fine. However, when I install either 8.0 or 9.0 on my Windows 10 laptop it shows he following >> Repositories -- status >> Pharo Local repository missing >> Pharo-spec2 Local repository missing >> Pharo-newtools Local repository missing >> Iceberg Local repository missing >> Libgit-pharo-bindings Local repository missing >> tonel Local repository missing >> >> What on earth is going on here as installing Pharo on my Mac was seamless. I have to get the project onto a Windows machine as these are the only servers that I have. I really can’t be this difficult, can it? >> >> How do I get out of this mess, given that that is a clean install? >> David >> Totally Objects