View all threads

[Pharo-dev] Pharo Launcher 3.0.1: no GUI

Shaping
Thu, May 12, 2022 3:57 AM

From: Shaping shaping@uurda.org
Sent: Wednesday, 4 May, 2022 02:46
To: 'Pharo Development List' pharo-dev@lists.pharo.org
Cc: 'Pharo-users' pharo-users@lists.pharo.org
Subject: [Pharo-dev] Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 3.0.1 released!

On May 3, 2022, at 6:03 PM, Shaping < mailto:shaping@uurda.org shaping@uurda.org> wrote:

This is strange. I tested PharoLauncher 3.0.1 on Windows 10 and had no problems.

Did you try to uninstall the previous launcher first?

Yes, I did the uninstall.    And I just did the uninstall and reinstall again.

Do you have more information that could help finding the problem?

No, just an ordinary event log:

Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: PharoLauncher. Product Version: 3.0.1. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Pharo project. Installation success or error status: 0.

Is everyone else able to open PL 3.0.1 on Windows?

I installed it on two machines. On one it worked, and on the other it didn’t. On the one where it didn’t work, the SDL2.dll file didn’t get installed. After adding the file, it opened. I’m guessing that the virus scanner may be getting in the way.

Interesting.  I don't have any special antivirus app running, just the default Windows Defender.

I do have SDL2.dll in  …\AppData\Local\PharoLauncher.  Still the GUI doesn’t open

Hi Christophe.

Do we understand why the PL 3.0.1 GUI doesn’t open sometimes even when SDL2.dll is present?

I have in my PharoLauncher folder 74 items.  One of those is the images folder.  Is that as it should be?

Should the PL 3.0.1 installer produce a \PharoLancher install folder containing 74 items, of which one is the \images folder?  If there is a file/folder list discrepancy, we can start the debugging there.

I rebooted the PC, uninstalled PL 3.0.1, and then reinstalled it.  The GUI still doesn’t appear, but I have 70 files/folders now (not 74), one of which is \images.  The difference seems to be caused by the change in OS state after the reboot.  Strange.  Any ideas?

I still have an SDL2.dll.  So, although the absence of this file in John’s install explains his missing GUI, it doesn’t explain mine.

Is anyone besides John and me seeing no PL 3.0.1 GUI on Windows?

Shaping

From: Shaping <shaping@uurda.org> Sent: Wednesday, 4 May, 2022 02:46 To: 'Pharo Development List' <pharo-dev@lists.pharo.org> Cc: 'Pharo-users' <pharo-users@lists.pharo.org> Subject: [Pharo-dev] Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 3.0.1 released! On May 3, 2022, at 6:03 PM, Shaping < <mailto:shaping@uurda.org> shaping@uurda.org> wrote: > > This is strange. I tested PharoLauncher 3.0.1 on Windows 10 and had no problems. > Did you try to uninstall the previous launcher first? > > Yes, I did the uninstall. And I just did the uninstall and reinstall again. > > Do you have more information that could help finding the problem? > > No, just an ordinary event log: > > Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: PharoLauncher. Product Version: 3.0.1. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Pharo project. Installation success or error status: 0. > > > Is everyone else able to open PL 3.0.1 on Windows? I installed it on two machines. On one it worked, and on the other it didn’t. On the one where it didn’t work, the SDL2.dll file didn’t get installed. After adding the file, it opened. I’m guessing that the virus scanner may be getting in the way. Interesting. I don't have any special antivirus app running, just the default Windows Defender. … I do have SDL2.dll in …\AppData\Local\PharoLauncher. Still the GUI doesn’t open Hi Christophe. Do we understand why the PL 3.0.1 GUI doesn’t open sometimes even when SDL2.dll is present? I have in my PharoLauncher folder 74 items. One of those is the images folder. Is that as it should be? … Should the PL 3.0.1 installer produce a \PharoLancher install folder containing 74 items, of which one is the \images folder? If there is a file/folder list discrepancy, we can start the debugging there. … I rebooted the PC, uninstalled PL 3.0.1, and then reinstalled it. The GUI still doesn’t appear, but I have 70 files/folders now (not 74), one of which is \images. The difference seems to be caused by the change in OS state after the reboot. Strange. Any ideas? I still have an SDL2.dll. So, although the absence of this file in John’s install explains his missing GUI, it doesn’t explain mine. Is anyone besides John and me seeing no PL 3.0.1 GUI on Windows? Shaping