Problem installing Seaside on Windows

DP
David Pennington
Mon, Mar 22, 2021 3:36 PM

Hi everyone.

I have been developing a new web site using Seaside on my M1 MacBookAir and I have had no issues.

To deploy it, I have to install Pharo on either a Windows 10 or a Windows Server 2012 server. Pharo has installed on both without any issues. However, I am having problems installing Seaside.

I have Pharo 8.0 installed on both (64 bit version).

If I try and install from the Catalog, I get the following error in the Transcript.

IceGenericError: Failed to stat file 'C:/Users/david/Documents/Pharo/images/Pharo 8.0 - 64bit (stable)/pharo-local.

If I try using Monticello, I get the following:

Metacello new
baseline:'Seaside3';
repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
load
I got an error while cloning: There was an authentication error while trying to execute the operation: .
This happens usually because you didn't provide a valid set of credentials.
You may fix this problem in different ways:

  1. adding your keys to ssh-agent, executing ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa in your command line.
  2. adding your keys in settings (open settings browser search for "Use custom SSH keys" and
    add your public and private keys).
  3. using HTTPS instead SSH (Just use an url in the form HTTPS://etc.git). I will try to clone the HTTPS variant.

Can you help please?

David
Totally Objects

[...]
SM
Sanjay Minni
Mon, Mar 22, 2021 4:06 PM

Hi David,

I have repeatedly installed Seaside on Pharo 8 / 9 64 bit - Windows 10
without any issues and I have done it both ssh and https

I do it quickly / simply by

tools->iceberg->[+ add]    (on top panel right)
on popup select: 'clone from github.com'
fill in owner: SeasideSt                            (case does not matter)
project: seaside
local directory:                          (leave the default for
now)
protocol                                      try https first (not
sure if github requires a password)
or ssh which may be
slightly complicated
once seaside libraries are pulled in and seaside appears in the iceberg
panel then
right click on seaside
on popup scroll down to metacello->install baseline (default)

hope that works

Long Haired David wrote

[...]

Hi David, I have repeatedly installed Seaside on Pharo 8 / 9 64 bit - Windows 10 without any issues and I have done it both ssh and https I do it quickly / simply by tools->iceberg->[+ add] (on top panel right) on popup select: 'clone from github.com' fill in owner: SeasideSt (case does not matter) project: seaside local directory: (leave the default for now) protocol try https first (not sure if github requires a password) or ssh which may be slightly complicated once seaside libraries are pulled in and seaside appears in the iceberg panel then right click on seaside on popup scroll down to metacello->install baseline (default) hope that works Long Haired David wrote > Hi everyone. > > I have been developing a new web site using Seaside on my M1 MacBookAir > and I have had no issues. > > To deploy it, I have to install Pharo on either a Windows 10 or a Windows > Server 2012 server. Pharo has installed on both without any issues. > However, I am having problems installing Seaside. > > I have Pharo 8.0 installed on both (64 bit version). > > If I try and install from the Catalog, I get the following error in the > Transcript. > > IceGenericError: Failed to stat file > 'C:/Users/david/Documents/Pharo/images/Pharo 8.0 - 64bit > (stable)/pharo-local. > > If I try using Monticello, I get the following: > > Metacello new > baseline:'Seaside3'; > repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository'; > load > I got an error while cloning: There was an authentication error while > trying to execute the operation: . > This happens usually because you didn't provide a valid set of > credentials. > You may fix this problem in different ways: > > 1. adding your keys to ssh-agent, executing ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa in your > command line. > 2. adding your keys in settings (open settings browser search for "Use > custom SSH keys" and > add your public and private keys). > 3. using HTTPS instead SSH (Just use an url in the form HTTPS://etc.git). > I will try to clone the HTTPS variant. > > Can you help please? > > David > Totally Objects ----- cheers, Sanjay -- Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
SD
Stéphane Ducasse
Mon, Mar 22, 2021 4:42 PM

David I think that we will release a new Windows VM soon.
We are chasing a problem related to some failures on Windows.
Now I cannot give you a fixed date.

On 22 Mar 2021, at 16:36, David Pennington david@totallyobjects.com wrote:

[...]

http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org
03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

David I think that we will release a new Windows VM soon. We are chasing a problem related to some failures on Windows. Now I cannot give you a fixed date. > On 22 Mar 2021, at 16:36, David Pennington <david@totallyobjects.com> wrote: > > Hi everyone. > > I have been developing a new web site using Seaside on my M1 MacBookAir and I have had no issues. > > To deploy it, I have to install Pharo on either a Windows 10 or a Windows Server 2012 server. Pharo has installed on both without any issues. However, I am having problems installing Seaside. > > I have Pharo 8.0 installed on both (64 bit version). > > If I try and install from the Catalog, I get the following error in the Transcript. > > IceGenericError: Failed to stat file 'C:/Users/david/Documents/Pharo/images/Pharo 8.0 - 64bit (stable)/pharo-local. > > If I try using Monticello, I get the following: > > Metacello new > baseline:'Seaside3'; > repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository'; > load > I got an error while cloning: There was an authentication error while trying to execute the operation: . > This happens usually because you didn't provide a valid set of credentials. > You may fix this problem in different ways: > > 1. adding your keys to ssh-agent, executing ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa in your command line. > 2. adding your keys in settings (open settings browser search for "Use custom SSH keys" and > add your public and private keys). > 3. using HTTPS instead SSH (Just use an url in the form HTTPS://etc.git). I will try to clone the HTTPS variant. > > Can you help please? > > David > Totally Objects -------------------------------------------- Stéphane Ducasse http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org 03 59 35 87 52 Assistant: Aurore Dalle FAX 03 59 57 78 50 TEL 03 59 35 86 16 S. Ducasse - Inria 40, avenue Halley, Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650 France
SM
Sabine Manaa
Mon, Mar 22, 2021 5:21 PM

I am not sure if it solves your problem but you could set to load via https
with:

Iceberg remoteTypeSelector: #httpsUrl

before loading with metacello

Am Mo., 22. März 2021 um 16:37 Uhr schrieb David Pennington <
david@totallyobjects.com>:

[...]

I am not sure if it solves your problem but you could set to load via https with: Iceberg remoteTypeSelector: #httpsUrl before loading with metacello Am Mo., 22. März 2021 um 16:37 Uhr schrieb David Pennington < david@totallyobjects.com>: > Hi everyone. > > I have been developing a new web site using Seaside on my M1 MacBookAir > and I have had no issues. > > To deploy it, I have to install Pharo on either a Windows 10 or a Windows > Server 2012 server. Pharo has installed on both without any issues. > However, I am having problems installing Seaside. > > I have Pharo 8.0 installed on both (64 bit version). > > If I try and install from the Catalog, I get the following error in the > Transcript. > > IceGenericError: Failed to stat file > 'C:/Users/david/Documents/Pharo/images/Pharo 8.0 - 64bit > (stable)/pharo-local. > > If I try using Monticello, I get the following: > > Metacello new > baseline:'Seaside3'; > repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository'; > load > I got an error while cloning: There was an authentication error while > trying to execute the operation: . > This happens usually because you didn't provide a valid set of > credentials. > You may fix this problem in different ways: > > 1. adding your keys to ssh-agent, executing ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa in your > command line. > 2. adding your keys in settings (open settings browser search for "Use > custom SSH keys" and > add your public and private keys). > 3. using HTTPS instead SSH (Just use an url in the form HTTPS://etc.git). > I will try to clone the HTTPS variant. > > Can you help please? > > David > Totally Objects >
DP
David Pennington
Mon, Mar 22, 2021 5:58 PM

Tried that. I got the following

Failed to get server certificate: the handle is in the wrong state for the requested operation.

I assume that someone thinks that this is helpful:-)

-----
cheers,
Sanjay
--

SD
Stéphane Ducasse

david

did you succeed to clone or checkout a github repo from this machine and without pharo at all?
Because Pharo is just using libgit.

S.

On 22 Mar 2021, at 18:58, David Pennington david@totallyobjects.com wrote:

[...]

david did you succeed to clone or checkout a github repo from this machine and without pharo at all? Because Pharo is just using libgit. S. > On 22 Mar 2021, at 18:58, David Pennington <david@totallyobjects.com> wrote: > > Tried that. I got the following > > Failed to get server certificate: the handle is in the wrong state for the requested operation. > > I assume that someone thinks that this is helpful:-) > > On 22 Mar 2021 16:06, Sanjay Minni <sm@planage.com> wrote: > Hi David, > > I have repeatedly installed Seaside on Pharo 8 / 9 64 bit - Windows 10 > without any issues and I have done it both ssh and https > > I do it quickly / simply by > > tools->iceberg->[+ add] (on top panel right) > on popup select: 'clone from github.com' > fill in owner: SeasideSt (case does not matter) > project: seaside > local directory: (leave the default for > now) > protocol try https first (not > sure if github requires a password) > or ssh which may be > slightly complicated > once seaside libraries are pulled in and seaside appears in the iceberg > panel then > right click on seaside > on popup scroll down to metacello->install baseline (default) > > hope that works > > > > > Long Haired David wrote > > Hi everyone. > > > > I have been developing a new web site using Seaside on my M1 MacBookAir > > and I have had no issues. > > > > To deploy it, I have to install Pharo on either a Windows 10 or a Windows > > Server 2012 server. Pharo has installed on both without any issues. > > However, I am having problems installing Seaside. > > > > I have Pharo 8.0 installed on both (64 bit version). > > > > If I try and install from the Catalog, I get the following error in the > > Transcript. > > > > IceGenericError: Failed to stat file > > 'C:/Users/david/Documents/Pharo/images/Pharo 8.0 - 64bit > > (stable)/pharo-local. > > > > If I try using Monticello, I get the following: > > > > Metacello new > > baseline:'Seaside3'; > > repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository'; > > load > > I got an error while cloning: There was an authentication error while > > trying to execute the operation: . > > This happens usually because you didn't provide a valid set of > > credentials. > > You may fix this problem in different ways: > > > > 1. adding your keys to ssh-agent, executing ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa in your > > command line. > > 2. adding your keys in settings (open settings browser search for "Use > > custom SSH keys" and > > add your public and private keys). > > 3. using HTTPS instead SSH (Just use an url in the form HTTPS://etc.git). > > I will try to clone the HTTPS variant. > > > > Can you help please? > > > > David > > Totally Objects > > > > > > ----- > cheers, > Sanjay > -- > Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html > > -------------------------------------------- Stéphane Ducasse http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org 03 59 35 87 52 Assistant: Aurore Dalle FAX 03 59 57 78 50 TEL 03 59 35 86 16 S. Ducasse - Inria 40, avenue Halley, Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650 France
DP
David Pennington
Mon, Mar 22, 2021 6:18 PM

I am sorry but github is a mystery to me. I installed all of this on my mac with no troubles. Surely it can't be anymore difficult on PC?

-----
cheers,
Sanjay
--

Stéphane Ducasse

http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org

03 59 35 87 52

Assistant: Aurore Dalle

FAX 03 59 57 78 50

TEL 03 59 35 86 16

S. Ducasse - Inria

40, avenue Halley,

Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650

France

SD
Stéphane Ducasse
Mon, Mar 22, 2021 6:51 PM

On 22 Mar 2021, at 19:18, David Pennington david@totallyobjects.com wrote:

I am sorry but github is a mystery to me.

You see you have to debug because if you cannot clone a repo then why Pharo would?

I installed all of this on my mac with no troubles. Surely it can't be anymore difficult on  PC?

I know why I do not use a windows.
And I can tell you that there are real differences.

S.

> On 22 Mar 2021, at 19:18, David Pennington <david@totallyobjects.com> wrote: > > I am sorry but github is a mystery to me. You see you have to debug because if you cannot clone a repo then why Pharo would? > I installed all of this on my mac with no troubles. Surely it can't be anymore difficult on PC? I know why I do not use a windows. And I can tell you that there are real differences. S.
SM
Sanjay Minni
Tue, Mar 23, 2021 5:08 AM

The error seems wierd, but I am a pure windows user and have not encountered
any problem except 1 issue which i will mention below.

I dont know what, if any, at all of below will help and its difficult to
reproduce / simulate the problem as it may clobber up something else.
Logically none of the below are required, though logically you shouldnt be
facing any problem either.

anyways - first a simple path

  1. create a github login - thats all and do remember your ID and password
    which may be needed later
  2. In github click your icon on top right, then go to settings-> SSH and GPG
    keys and enter your SSH public key, you will find instructions along the
    way. paste your id_isa.pub file from C:\Users<you>.ssh (note: i assume you
    have generated your ssh key files)
  3. save and exit

then
create a new image thru pharo launcher - ** change image name to a short
name ** i.e.
change default "Pharo 8.0 - 64bit (stable)" to say "p8my1" or whatever
here is a typical windows problem of long file names which aggravates as
packages with long names are installed

now try to to install iceberg->add->clone github-> seasidest | seaside | |
(https or ssh)
enter github credentials when asked

hope that helps

Long Haired David wrote

-----
cheers,
Sanjay
--

The error seems wierd, but I am a pure windows user and have not encountered any problem except 1 issue which i will mention below. I dont know what, if any, at all of below will help and its difficult to reproduce / simulate the problem as it may clobber up something else. Logically none of the below are required, though logically you shouldnt be facing any problem either. anyways - first a simple path 1. create a github login - thats all and do remember your ID and password which may be needed later 2. In github click your icon on top right, then go to settings-> SSH and GPG keys and enter your SSH public key, you will find instructions along the way. paste your id_isa.pub file from C:\Users\<you>\.ssh (note: i assume you have generated your ssh key files) 3. save and exit then create a new image thru pharo launcher - ** change image name to a short name ** i.e. change default "Pharo 8.0 - 64bit (stable)" to say "p8my1" or whatever here is a typical windows problem of long file names which aggravates as packages with long names are installed now try to to install iceberg->add->clone github-> seasidest | seaside | | (https or ssh) enter github credentials when asked hope that helps Long Haired David wrote > Tried that. I got the following Failed to get server certificate: the > handle is in the wrong state for the requested operation.&nbsp; I assume > that someone thinks that this is helpful:-) On 22 Mar 2021 16:06, Sanjay > Minni &lt; > sm@ > &gt; wrote: Hi David,&#13; > &#13; > I have repeatedly installed Seaside on Pharo 8 / 9 64 bit - Windows > 10&#13; > without any issues and I have done it both ssh and https&#13; > &#13; > I do it quickly / simply by&#13; > &#13; > tools-&gt;iceberg-&gt;[+ add]&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (on top panel right)&#13; > on popup select: 'clone from github.com'&#13; > fill in owner: > SeasideSt&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; > (case does not matter)&#13; > &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; project: seaside&#13; > &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; local > directory:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; > (leave the default for&#13; > now)&#13; > &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; > protocol&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; > try https first (not&#13; > sure if github requires a password) &#13; > &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; > or ssh which may be&#13; > slightly complicated&#13; > once seaside libraries are pulled in and seaside appears in the > iceberg&#13; > panel then&#13; > right click on seaside &#13; > &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; on popup scroll down to > metacello-&gt;install baseline (default)&#13; > &#13; > hope that works &#13; > &#13; > &#13; > &#13; > &#13; > Long Haired David wrote&#13; > &gt; Hi everyone.&#13; > &gt; &#13; > &gt; I have been developing a new web site using Seaside on my M1 > MacBookAir&#13; > &gt; and I have had no issues.&#13; > &gt; &#13; > &gt; To deploy it, I have to install Pharo on either a Windows 10 or a > Windows&#13; > &gt; Server 2012 server. Pharo has installed on both without any > issues.&#13; > &gt; However, I am having problems installing Seaside.&#13; > &gt; &#13; > &gt; I have Pharo 8.0 installed on both (64 bit version).&#13; > &gt; &#13; > &gt; If I try and install from the Catalog, I get the following error in > the&#13; > &gt; Transcript.&#13; > &gt; &#13; > &gt; IceGenericError: Failed to stat file&#13; > &gt; 'C:/Users/david/Documents/Pharo/images/Pharo 8.0 - 64bit&#13; > &gt; (stable)/pharo-local.&#13; > &gt; &#13; > &gt; If I try using Monticello, I get the following:&#13; > &gt; &#13; > &gt; Metacello new&#13; > &gt; baseline:'Seaside3';&#13; > &gt; repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';&#13; > &gt; load&#13; > &gt; I got an error while cloning: There was an authentication error > while&#13; > &gt; trying to execute the operation: . &#13; > &gt; This happens usually because you didn't provide a valid set of&#13; > &gt; credentials. &#13; > &gt; You may fix this problem in different ways: &#13; > &gt; &#13; > &gt; 1. adding your keys to ssh-agent, executing ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa in > your&#13; > &gt; command line.&#13; > &gt; 2. adding your keys in settings (open settings browser search for > "Use&#13; > &gt; custom SSH keys" and&#13; > &gt; add your public and private keys).&#13; > &gt; 3. using HTTPS instead SSH (Just use an url in the form > HTTPS://etc.git).&#13; > &gt; I will try to clone the HTTPS variant.&#13; > &gt; &#13; > &gt; Can you help please?&#13; > &gt; &#13; > &gt; David&#13; > &gt; Totally Objects&#13; > &#13; > &#13; > &#13; > &#13; > &#13; > -----&#13; > cheers, &#13; > Sanjay&#13; > --&#13; > Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html&#13; ----- cheers, Sanjay -- Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
SV

On 22 Mar 2021, at 19:05, Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse@inria.fr wrote:

david

did you succeed to clone or checkout a github repo from this machine and without pharo at all?

This is indeed step one: make sure that you can check out code from git(hub) on the command line in Windows. Only if that works you can do the next steps.

BTW, once you have a repository checked out, you can just point Iceberg to it and load code.

PS: yes, you will also have to learn the basic of git(hub).