View all threads

Causal profiling

mayuresh@kathe.in
Sun, Jan 15, 2023 7:28 AM

People here might have heard about the work of Prof Emery Berger on the causal profiling technology.
Here's a paper presenting Coz, a causal profiler.
https://www.sigops.org/s/conferences/sosp/2015/current/2015-Monterey/printable/090-curtsinger.pdf

They have also release a profiler for Python using the same technology.
It is called Scalene: https://github.com/plasma-umass/scalene

In case Pharo does not have such a profiler, maybe an expert could work on it?

Best,

~Mayuresh

People here might have heard about the work of Prof Emery Berger on the causal profiling technology. Here's a paper presenting Coz, a causal profiler. https://www.sigops.org/s/conferences/sosp/2015/current/2015-Monterey/printable/090-curtsinger.pdf They have also release a profiler for Python using the same technology. It is called Scalene: https://github.com/plasma-umass/scalene In case Pharo does not have such a profiler, maybe an expert could work on it? Best, ~Mayuresh
SJ
Sebastian Jordan Montano
Sun, Jan 15, 2023 12:27 PM

Hello Mayuresh,

As you said, in Pharo we don't have an implementation of a casual profiler at the moments. I don't know if someone will implement one in a near future.

We have other profilers in Pharo: MessageTally and AndreasProfiler, both already in the image, are profilers that use sampling to get an estimated execution time for each method. Now we are working on a prototype of a memory profiler that we are going to release soon.

Regards,
Sebastian Jordan

People here might have heard about the work of Prof Emery Berger on the causal
profiling technology.
Here's a paper presenting Coz, a causal profiler.
https://www.sigops.org/s/conferences/sosp/2015/current/2015-Monterey/printable/090-curtsinger.pdf

They have also release a profiler for Python using the same technology.
It is called Scalene: https://github.com/plasma-umass/scalene

In case Pharo does not have such a profiler, maybe an expert could work on it?

Best,

~Mayuresh

Hello Mayuresh, As you said, in Pharo we don't have an implementation of a casual profiler at the moments. I don't know if someone will implement one in a near future. We have other profilers in Pharo: MessageTally and AndreasProfiler, both already in the image, are profilers that use sampling to get an estimated execution time for each method. Now we are working on a prototype of a memory profiler that we are going to release soon. Regards, Sebastian Jordan ----- Mail original ----- > De: "mayuresh@kathe.in via Pharo-users" <pharo-users@lists.pharo.org> > À: "pharo-users" <pharo-users@lists.pharo.org> > Cc: mayuresh@kathe.in > Envoyé: Dimanche 15 Janvier 2023 07:28:57 > Objet: [Pharo-users] Causal profiling > People here might have heard about the work of Prof Emery Berger on the causal > profiling technology. > Here's a paper presenting Coz, a causal profiler. > https://www.sigops.org/s/conferences/sosp/2015/current/2015-Monterey/printable/090-curtsinger.pdf > > They have also release a profiler for Python using the same technology. > It is called Scalene: https://github.com/plasma-umass/scalene > > In case Pharo does not have such a profiler, maybe an expert could work on it? > > Best, > > ~Mayuresh